Does oily skin need hydration?
It doesn't matter how many times you wash your face during the day. Anyone who has oily skin knows that after a while it starts to look shiny. In photos and selfies you can still disguise it with apps, filters that allow adjustments and corrections, but in everyday life the battle is more difficult.
Excessive oiliness on the face occurs when the sebaceous glands produce too much sebum, which comes out of the skin's surface through enlarged pores, another common characteristic of oily skin sufferers. And there are several triggers for this to happen: genetics, smoking, a diet low in vegetables and rich in foods with a high glycemic index (low fiber and high carbohydrates), hormonal disorders, sun exposure and even poor hydration.
So the question arises: does oily skin need hydration? The answer is YES, only with the right products and a care routine. Here's how to care for this type of skin.
1. Maintain and stick to a skincare routine – Daily, in the morning, follow this order: first wash your face with a bar or face wash then apply moisturizer and finish with sunscreen. At night, repeat the ritual, without sunscreen. Keep this routine and always opt for specific products for oily skin.
2. Beware of the rebound effect – Wash your face at most twice a day, with soaps suitable for oily skin. Make gentle circular movements with your fingers and rinse with cold water. Do not over-cleanse to avoid causing the so-called rebound effect, which is when the body, in order to protect the skin and recover its natural hydration, produces even more oil.
3. Hit the target: Invest in products that help contain excess oil, be it soaps, sunscreens, moisturizers and makeup. Oil control products, as their name suggests, serve to control sebum secretion and maintain the oily balance of the skin. Those that are dermatologically tested have better results.
4. Choose the moisturizing cream well – Forget the creamiest and thickest and invest in those with lighter textures, which leave the pores free, such as those that come in gel, for example. And don't forget to moisturize your skin daily, always after cleansing and before applying makeup.
5. Drink plenty of water – A hydrated body is synonymous with hydrated skin. But it is not worth drinking five glasses of water at once: consumption should be distributed throughout the day, in small and constant doses.